PIL in HC seeks lifting of ban on Dec 16 gangrape documentary
A Delhi court had on March 4 said that its order restraining broadcasting of the convict’s interview
A PIL has been filed in the Delhi High Court seeking lifting of the ban on telecast of the controversial documentary featuring an interview of one of the convicts of the December 16 gang-rape case.
A Delhi court had on March 4 said that its order restraining broadcasting of the convict’s interview, which was conducted inside Tihar jail here, will continue till further orders.
The petition, filed by a law student, has sought lifting of the ban on the ground that it is “nothing but a honest look at the mind and mindset of one of the convicted rapists of the young woman”.
Mukesh Singh, one of the convicts in the gang-rape case, is featured in the interview.
It has claimed that the parents of the December 16 gangrape victim have also not objected to the telecast of the documentary.
The petition, filed by Vibhor Anand, has also said that “it is legally wrong to oppose the screening of the film after giving it legal approval and after the documentary-makers fulfilled all legal commitments.”
It has also said that as per social media the public at large wanted to see the documentary within 24 hours of its being put up on YouTube, it was viewed by more 2.86 lakh people.
The victim, a physiotherapy student was raped and assaulted with an iron rod after she was tricked into boarding a bus to go home after watching a movie with a male friend on December 16, 2012.
Her male companion was badly beaten up and could not come to her rescue when she was assaulted in the bus. The two were later dumped naked and bleeding on the roadside.
The woman was airlifted to a Singapore hospital for treatment where she died – 13 days after the assault – of the injuries inflicted upon her.
Mukesh, along with three others, was convicted and sentenced to death last year for the gangrape and murder of the victim.
Source:: Indian Express