Woman who set self on fire in front of Badal’s house dies
The unemployed woman, who set herself ablaze in front of the Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal’s residence on December 12, died while undergoing treatment Saturday.
Officials said she had recovered and was about to be discharged from Chandigarh’s Government Multi-speciality Hospital on Thursday, but developed an infection and died.
Doctors said she died of septicemia, or blood poisoning. “During her stay in the hospital, she developed the infection which proved fatal,” said a doctor.
Gurpreet Kaur, 38, from Gurdaspur, had received around 35 per cent burns after she immolated herself.
“She died in the afternoon on Saturday following which her post-mortem was conducted. Inquest proceedings have been started under Section 174 of the Criminal Procedure Code. As she had no known relatives, her last rites were conducted by a local NGO,” said Inspector Malkit Singh, SHO of Sector 3 police station.
Source:: Indian Express