Fireman injured while fighting blaze
It’s easy to forget the dangers that firefighters face when they go into buildings to save lives. But Ram Ratan, 48, reminded Delhi of this when he entered a garment factory, in South-East Delhi’s Okhla area, to control the fire and save lives.
Upon entering, a concrete block fell from the ceiling, hitting Ratan and injuring his spine. He was rendered unconscious on the spot. He is undergoing treatment at AIIMS hospital and doctors say he is lucky to be alive.
Anil Agarwal, owner of Aakarsh Exports’ factory located in Okhla Industrial Area, Phase-I, says he is running into estimated losses of crores. The company was involved in exporting ready-made garments.
As per officials, the fire first broke around 7 am and was under control by 1:30 pm but later due to the sparks the fire again flamed up. The officials claimed that the cause of fire could be a possible short-circuit but the final report will reveal the exact cause.
“While I was coming back from my morning walk at 7, I saw smoke coming out from the windows. I called other people who then called the fire brigade” said Diwan Singh, a local. Another person, Sarven Verma said, “By 7:30 am the …read more