All you need to know about Kochi Metro
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Kochi Metro on Saturday. He was accompanied by Governor P Sathasivam, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan and Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.
‘Metro man’ E Sreedharan, Urban Development Secretary Rajiv Gouba, Kerala Chief Secretary Nalini Netto and and KMRL MD Elias George also travelled with Prime Minister during his maiden journey in Kochi Metro from Palarivattom to Pathadippalam.
Before boarding the train, Modi cut the ribbon at Palarivattom station. The prime minister, who began his speech in Malayalam, said he was happy to be part of the inauguration of the Kochi Metro. “I congratulate the people of Kochi on the proud moment,” he said.
PM Modi also hailed several “several significant features”, which includes:
– Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL) is a 50-50 joint venture of the Centre and the state government.
– The Centre has so far released over Rs 2,000 crore for the project.
– Coaches of the metro reflect ‘Make in India’ vision. They have been built by Alstom near Chennai and have an Indian component of around 70%.
– Kochi Metro is considered the fastest completed metro project in the country. It will start the revenue operations on June 19 from 6 AM onwards.
– The trains will …read more